Here is the history of SHINYEI,that has been observing the world during three different centuries.
To establish raw silk market in Kobe, SHINYEI KAISHA, LLC was founded by the executives of the No.38 Himeji National Bank.
- May 1887
- In order to export raw silk and related products which were major export items of Japan at that time, SHINYEI KAISHA, LLC was founded with the capital of 150,000 yen at Sakaemachidori, Kobe-ku, Settsu Province (Chuo-ku, Kobe city).
- June 1893
- SHINYEI became a joint-stock company and changed its name to SHINYEI Co., Ltd.
- October 1893
- SHINYEI was approved as a joint-stock company under the former Commercial Code enacted in 1890.
To develop the silk industry, SHINYEI worked on the improvement and standardization on the quality of the silk by expanding its scale. Moreover, the firm expanded and diversified its business fields.
- March 1902
- Yokohama Branch Manager published "The Theory of Organizing Raw Silk" and contributed to the restructuring of the silk industry.
- April 1915
- Trading Division was established and started the export of textiles and general merchandise.
In 1925, SHINYEI became the top raw silk manufacturer in Japan. The firm began the silk-reeling manufacturing and grew to one of the leading silk-reeling companies in Japan.
- May 1925
- Along with the establishment of The Kobe Raw Silk Market and the increasing of sales volume of raw silk, SHINYEI changed its name to SHINYEI KIITO Co., Ltd.
- May 1928
- SHINYEI entered the silk-reeling industry.
- June 1929
- To strengthen the export of raw silk to the United States, New York Branch was established.
SHINYEI expanded its market to the manufacture of capacitors and was listed on the stock exchanges in Japan. Moreover, the firm began trade with China and took the fourth place in Japan in terms of the trading volume with China in 1955.
- May 1943
- SHINYEI was renamed SHINYEI JITSUGYO Co., Ltd., because of the wane of the silk-reeling industry under a wartime restriction.
- September 1943
- Entering an electronic components market, SHINYEI started the manufacture of capacitors.
- March 1947
- SHINYEI changed its name to SHINYEI KIITO Co., Ltd. due to resumption of the silk-reeling business.
- August 1947
- Along with the resumption of limited private foreign trade, SHINYEI restarted the trading business.
- September 1948
- Tokyo Branch was established to expand the business in Kanto region.
- May 1949
- SHINYEI was listed on Tokyo and Osaka Stock Exchange.
- June 1952
- No sooner that Japan-China Trade Agreement signed, SHINYEI started the trade with China.
- February 1959
- Shinyei Company, Inc. was established in New York in order to expand the trade business with the United States.
SHINYEI was designated as a "friendly trading company" by China. The firm increased the import volume of peanuts and developed high sensitivity humidity sensors. Also, SHINYEI began the import of frozen vegetables.
- December 1961
- SHINYEI was designated as a "friendly trading company" by China.
- April 1965
- SHINYEI developed polypropylene film capacitors.
- August 1966
- In order to stabilize and develop business, SHINYEI merged with its wholly-owned subsidiaries, SHINYEI DENKI Co., Ltd. and OITA SEISHI Co., Ltd. and was renamed to SHINYEI KAISHA.
- April 1967
- A new head office building was built at Kyomachi, Ikuta-ku (Chuo-ku), Kobe city.
- January 1970
- To expand the apparel & textile business, Osaka Branch was established.
- November 1970
- SHINYEI developed the industry's first metal oxide type humidity sensors.
- SHINYEI became the first company in Japan that imported frozen vegetables from China.
- March 1978
- SHINYEI developed high polymer molecular humidity sensor with drastically improved performance.
- May 1979
- As a new company in the United States, Shinyei Corp. of America was established.
SHINYEI withdrew from the silk-reeling business. The firm celebrated the 100th anniversary and started its journey into the next 100 years. To strengthen the electronics business, the Central Research Institute was established.
- March 1983
- The production of raw silk was discontinued and SHINYEI withdrew from the silk-reeling business. The firm closed the business which had lasted for 55 years.
- September 1985
- Kyushu Shinyei Electronics Co., Ltd. was established to assemble and process electronic parts and substrates.
- November 1987
- SHINYEI commemorated its centennial year.
- November 1987
- In order to operate business which was specialized in sales of building materials, SK Building Materials Co., Ltd. was established.
- June 1989
- As a research and development base for the electronics business, Kobe Techno Center of Central Research Institute was established in Kobe High-Tech Park located in Nishi-ku, Kobe city.
SHINYEI began the production of capacitors abroad. The Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake collapsed the head office building and it was reconstructed later.
- January 1992
- As a manufacturing base for capacitors in Southeast Asia, Shinyei Kaisha Electronics (M) SDN. BHD. was established in Johore, Malaysia.
- January 1995
- The head office building was totally destroyed by the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake.
- April 1996
- Looking ahead to the Return of Hong Kong to China, Hong Kong Branch was established as a sales base for the whole company.
- October 1997
- Shinyei (Shanghai) Trading Co., Ltd. was established to expand business in China.
- January 1998
- Shinyei Electronics Corp. of America was established in San Diego to strengthen sales of capacitors in the United States.
- March 1998
- New head office building was reconstructed on the original site, Kyomachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe city.
- July 1998
- SK Electronics Co., Ltd. was established in order to manufacture liquid crystal display devices.
- As holding company of Shinyei Corp. of America and Shinyei Electronics Corp. of America, Shinyei USA Corp. was established in Delaware, U.S.A.
- November 1999
- As presiding company for capacitors business integrating manufacturing, sales and engineering, Shinyei Capacitor Co., Ltd. was established.
SHINYEI promoted the expansion of the business fields by M&A and strengthened the business structure by organizational restructuring. As a base of research and development, SHINYEI Group R&D Center was established.
- December 2000
- Shinkyowa Co., Ltd. which ran architectural hardware business joined the SHINYEI Group in order to expand the general merchandise business.
- February 2001
- Yoshida Seiki Co., Ltd. which manufactured and sold testing machinery and measuring instruments joined the SHINYEI Group to expand the electronics business.
- April 2002
- The building material business was integrated into SK Building Materials Co., Ltd. and it was renamed Shinyei Materials Co., Ltd.
- February 2003
- Fujikura Shoji Co., Ltd. which handled household goods joined the SHINYEI Group to expand the general merchandise business.
- March 2003
- Shinyei Business Engineering Services Co., Ltd. was established to utilize the intellectual assets existing in SHINYEI Group for service and consulting.
- December 2003
- To restructure business in the United States, Shinyei USA Corp. merged with Shinyei Corp. of America and Shinyei Electronics Corp. of America, and was renamed Shinyei Corp. of America.
- April 2007
- In order to restructure the electronics business, Kyushu Shinyei Electronics Co., Ltd. merged with Shinyei Capacitor Co., Ltd., SK Electronics Co., Ltd. and Yoshida Seiki Co., Ltd., took over SHINYEI's electronic device business, and was renamed Shinyei Technology Co., Ltd.
- January 2008
- Fujikura Shoji Co., Ltd. was renamed NCD Co., Ltd. due to its business expansion.
- July 2008
- Along with restructuring of the general merchandise business, Shinyei Materials Co., Ltd. merged with Shinyei Business Engineering Services Co., Ltd. and was renamed Shinyei Business Services Co., Ltd.
- March 2009
- As a research and development base, SHINYEI Group R&D Center was established in Port Island (Phase II) in Chuo-ku, Kobe city which is the core area of KOBE Biomedical Innovation Cluster.
- August 2009
- Maruoka Shoji Co., Ltd. which ran apparel retail business joined the SHINYEI Group to expand the apparel & textile business.
SHINYEI promoted the globalization. The foodstuffs business entered into Chinese and Southeast Asian markets and the general merchandise business into West Asian, North and Central American markets.
- February 2010
- Shinyei Agri. & Foods Co., Ltd. was established to enter into agriculture industry and, processing and sales business of domestic cut fresh vegetable.
- February 2011
- In order to keepup with the changes of electronic industry, separating capacitor business from Shinyei Technology Co., Ltd., Shinyei Capacitors Co., Ltd. was established.
- November 2011
- For reconstructure of the general merchandise business, Shinyei Business Services Co., Ltd. merged with NCD Co., Ltd. and was renamed Shinyei Living Industry Co., Ltd.
- February 2012
- Shinyei Shoji (Qingdao) Trading Co., Ltd. was established to sell frozen foods in China.
- December 2013
- Shinyei Agritech Co., Ltd. was established to research and develop agriculture-related business.
- March 2014
- To restructure the foodstuffs business, Shinyei Agritech Co., Ltd. inherited the agriculture business from Shinyei Agri. & Foods Co., Ltd.
- November 2014
- Shinyei Lifetex Co., Ltd. was established to promote the flexible business operation in the changing textile industry.
- February 2015
- Shinyei Testing Machinery Co., Ltd. was established to expand the business of drop & shock testing instruments, and measuring devices for railway.
- April 2015
- Grandy Co., Ltd. which operated legwear business joined the SHINYEI Group to expand the apparel & textile business and to strengthen the development of the products and function for business proposals.
- Fukuoka Branch was established to expand the market in Kyushu and Okinawa regions.
- July 2015
- In order to restructure the apparel & textile business, Shinyei Lifetex Co., Ltd. inherited apparel retail business from Maruoka Shoji Co., Ltd.
- Shinyei (Thailand) Co., Ltd. was established in Bangkok, Thailand to expand the foodstuffs business in Southeast Asian countries.
- September 2015
- SHINYEI Group Awara Agricultural Center was established as the head office of Shinyei Agritech Co., Ltd. which operated agriculture business. The center also operates as a research and development base of agriculture-related business.
- April 2017
- In order to restructure the apparel & textile business, Shinyei Lifetex Co., Ltd. merged with Grandy Co., Ltd.
- Shinkyowa Co., Ltd. was renamed Shinyei Home Create Co., Ltd. to seek new business approach different from existing business.